Monday, October 22, 2007

Head First: An unlikely blogger tells nothing

On titles
Those who know me, and by tautology the only people who'll be reading this first post, may have some ideas about why I'd name my blog "Head First." In the spirit of restraint in posting personal information on the internet (telling nothing), I'll leave that mostly to your imaginations. On the off-chance that you're reading this and you don't know me, your loyalty just might repay you with understanding. A few key intangible nouns to consider might be risk, precociousness, rationality, and intransigence.

On motivations
Blogging does not come naturally to me. I'd often thought of it as exhibitionist, frivolous, juvenile, and possibly even narcissistic. But over the past few years I have been forced to realize that it is now a viable form of popular intellectualism, public dialogue, and even academic discourse. Not only does anyone who takes themself seriously write a blog (for better or for worse), but the major national newspapers feature blog sections inviting users to participate in discussion.

Yet the newfound popularity and credibility of blogs is not what motivates me to open this one. Rather, it is my own desire to maintain critical faculties that are quickly draining from my porous brain in post-college life. A friend and fellow blogger told me that blogging is good for you--like writing class and therapy rolled into one, he said. Practice clear expression and get out your thoughts. It sounds so warm and fuzzy, how could anyone disagree with the benevolence of that?

On expectations
Well, if this first post is any indication of what's to come (and I don't mean for it to be, content-wise), then my blog will be self-important and narcissistic. But what I expect from it is not wide acclaim. It is a chance to distill my often nebulous and changing views on people, politics, and culture in a way that strengthens or challenges them. And, if the experiment works, maybe after some practice it will be worth the read.

No comments: